Sunday, March 19, 2006

RESEARCH : Graffiti

I have personally been a fan of graffiti since I first seen some alongside a railway track one day. The starck contrast to utilitarian walls, fences and equipment shed with the vivid colours and intricate, interlocking shapes.

Whilst at school I came across the book Subway Art. This book catalogues the works of some of the graffiti scenes founding artists. I was also accused of stealing the book in sixth form as my art teachers knew just how fond of graffiti I was.



I made attempts to create my own pieces but never really came anywhere close to those created by the likes of Dondi & Seen.



As I have matured in both age and tastes I have become aware of another element of graffiti, the concpets behind pieces. Despite being illegal graffiti offers everyone of us a voice. This voice, when painted on our streets, can be heard by everyone who passes it. Most pieces, be they fantastically intricate or simple text, convey a message, personal to the artist.

With some of my experiments, I aim to turn this idea on itself and use graffiti-like methods to fill the streets with things I have overheard. When read, these conversation strings will perhaps not make sence but they will be read. This idea of allowing others to overhear what I have overheard is born from the use of graffiti to broadcast a message to a large audience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home